While a steak dinner may be the perfect item for any occasion, the same can’t be said for every side dish. Some side dishes, though mouth-watering, are seasonal and only available according to regionality and locality.
But no matter the side dish you choose, it should perfectly complement a beautifully grilled steak.
Whether you are having the best steak in Abu Dhabi, London or New York, here are some of the top-rated decadent sides you can order to complement your meaty main.
When it comes to a steak dinner, you can never go wrong with a dollop of sauce. Versatile and relatable, sauces are a way for dining guests to experience a new world of flavor without embarking into the uncomfortable and unfamiliar territory.
Sauces are an excellent accompaniment to any steak, from pan seared flank to surf and turf. We highlight some of our favorites below:
- Pesto: While not traditionally known as a steak sauce, this basil-based green sauce with hints of garlic and flavors of parmesan and roasted pine nuts makes a great supporting actor to any steakhouse classic.
- Mushroom: Those looking for an earthy accompaniment to their perfectly seared steak, look no further than a mushroom sauce. Blend with soft herbs, white wine, creme fraiche and parmesan for a truly delectable flavor.
- Chimichurri: Whether you prefer your chimichurri sauce pureed or a little chunky, both options provide the same result — a bright, herb-based sauce with a hit of flavor that wonderfully serves to counterpoint the rich, meaty texture of steak.
- Compound butter: A versatile “sauce,” compound butter can complement a variety of dishes, from steaks to fresh bread. A garlic herb compound butter recipe can further elevate a perfectly cooked steak.
Peppercorn: The classic among all steak sauces, black peppercorn sauce or sauce au Poivre is a rich, creamy sauce that adds a luxurious taste to meltingly tender steak.
Steaks have a real love affair with potatoes. Potatoes, like steaks, can be enjoyed in a variety of delicious ways. To get the most out of these scrumptious spuds, make sure you order your potatoes in one of the following forms:
- Fries: A versatile way to serve potatoes, fries can be served chunky, matchstick, wedges, shoestring, and traditional. They can even be ordered as the lighter sweet potato variation.
- Dauphinoise: An indulgent example of classic French cuisine, dauphinoise turns the humble spud into a creamy layered potato bake that is utterly delicious.
- Mashed: An essential side dish to any steak, creamy mashed potatoes is a comforting dish that will perfectly round out your delicious cut of beef.
- Roasted: Roasted potatoes with their golden, crispy finish and pillow-soft, creamy center are a wonderful dish to enjoy during a special occasion such as a steak dinner.
- Green vegetables
If you are looking to order side dishes that balance the rich, meaty texture of steak, then a satisfying green vegetable side will make a nice pairing. Keep it minimal and go for the classics. After all, the hero of the dish is the perfectly seared steak.
- Kale: A fashionable green, kale is packed with antioxidants and full of flavor.
- Spinach: A versatile green vegetable, spinach goes wonderfully well with steak no matter how it is cooked. From creamed to sauteed, spinach plays its supporting role with delicious refinement.
- Asparagus: When cooked to tender perfection, this spring vegetable is sweet with a slight hint of a bitter taste. When roasted, asparagus develops a savory, rich flavor that helps elevate steaks to a new level.
- Brussel sprouts: Creativity is key when transforming this humble green vegetable into an exciting side dish for steak. Its natural flavor pairs wonderfully with steak, making it a favorite go-to side dish for many.
When steak is on the menu, you’ll want a traditional steakhouse side that stands up to your favorite cut of beef, rather than overpowering it. While there are many other yummy sides that can marvelously accompany steak, the slew of side dishes above is sure to please any palate.