Ministry of Human Resource Development has been providing financial assistance to the needy and meritorious students and for the purpose it has been offering various scholarship schemes. Under the same endeavor, in 1961-62 National Merit Scholarship Scheme was launched which was replaced with Central Sector Scholarship in the 11th five year plan. Under the Central Sector Scholarship meritorious and academically brilliant students are provided with financial assistance to continue their studies after class 12 i.e. for Graduation and Post-graduation courses.
Under Central Sector Scholarship boys and girls get equal share of the scholarship and every year 82000 new scholarships are offered under the scheme. The criteria for the selection of the candidates for the scholarship is the marks obtained by them in class 12 examination and the financial condition of the students. No separate examination is conducted for the selection of the candidates for this scholarship.
The funds for Central Sector Scholarship scheme are provided by Ministry of Human Resource Development and the agencies such as CBSE, ICSE and states board act as the medium to identify the candidates for the grant of the scholarship.
The candidates selected for the award of Central Sector Scholarship for University Students will get monthly stipend or Rs.1000 while during Post-graduation, the monthly stipend of Rs.2000 will be offered.
Let us have a look at the process for the selection of the candidates for the scholarship:
- Within 5 weeks of class 12th result declaration all the state boards, CBSE & ICSE draw up a merit list of potential candidates for the scholarship on the basis of the marks obtained by candidates in their respective board examinations.
- The concerned authorities will write to the eligible students to confirm within 15 days whether they are willing to accept the scholarship.
- Only those candidates who show willingness within 30 days for the scholarship will be considered for the scholarship.
- The shortlisted candidates will get the following documents:
- All these documents are to be completely filled by the candidate and deposited to the Head of the Institution where he/she has taken admission. From where these documents will be forwarded to respective boards.
- On receiving the documents, the respective board will compile the list of scholarship awardees on the basis of merit, eligibility criteria & reservation guidelines applicable. The prepared list will be forwarded to National Scholarship Division of MHRD.
- On receipt of the list, Ministry of Human Resource Development will make arrangement for the disbursement of the Scholarship amount directly to the bank account of the selected candidates.
For more information related to Central Sector Scholarship and other government scholarships, have a look at www.MotaChashma.com